14.9.09

I've Come To Realize

For the past few months, I've been spending more time away from home. It got to the point where I would come home from work, shower, dress, and run back out o meet friends. By the time I get home, it would be past midnight. My family would be asleep. My brother, who usually keeps to himself, would ask where I am. To which, my parents could only reply, 'Out'. I was spending more time 'out on the town' than I would spend sleeping or communicating with my family.

This past Sunday, I was in the room, resting up after a very long peace vigil and before I had to leave for a meeting. I knew that the rest of my family was here. But, I was in the mindset of getting planning out of the way for the week.

Upon speaking to my mother, I find that there is a BBQ planned and that they hadn't included me because they... I quote, here!... Forgot about me!

At that point, I came to realization that I had not only been neglecting my family but that I missed them. I miss the teasing and coercing that goes on when we're together. The jabbing and the poking from my brother. The sudden bursts of conversation from my brother-in-law. The moments of encouragement from my sister. The little attitude from my dad that we experience from time to time. Heck! I even miss the admonishment from my mother! (I never thought I'd be saying that.)

So, while I do love my friends and feel that I have truly found the ones that will be there through thick and thin, I also love my family. I, Jessica Blas, have realized that I need to make time for both, in my life. I can have my cake and eat it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment