12.5.09

FHC Angels

Okay, this is backwards. I meant to post this first. But, I was a little riled up over the BS with the friary masses. So, here it is *wink*.

This past weekend was spent in: a. a drunken stupor on Friday night, b. surrounded by 60 children on a sugar high on Saturday, c. the same 60 children dressed as brides and grooms of the church with angelic voices that could have lulled me to sleep, and d. my wonderful family for whom I have nothing but love.

Lessons learned from Friday... Cameras and booze
never ever go well together. Especially if those who are handling said equipment are sober and are out for vengeance! Lesson number two... When drinking, it is best to try not to drown your sorrows. They will be there in the morning. As it was put before, our sorrows know how to swim. Lesson number three... When the vision is blurred slightly, it is best to switch to water for the duration of the evening. Lesson number four... It's best not to have a drink out on the second floor balcony. Stairs seem to grow more narrow and less stable on the way down. Lesson number five... When the crying starts, the party stops. Lesson number six... When you know that you have to spend the next day with 60 children, you should probably stop at two and no wait until your world is spinning. All lessons that are very good to retain! But, will we remember them next time? Probably not!

Saturday, despite waking up with a horrible headache and feeling like I'd been hit by a truck, I dragged my butt out of bed in order to be at a retreat with the kids. I thought it would be horrible! But, it turned out to be a very nice day. I learned that, no matter how silly the kids are acting, once they say 'I love you', all is forgiven and all is well with the world. I love my kids(which made up about a fifth of the group) and I will miss them so much when the school year is up. We have 2 weeks left of CCD. I won't be there for the session this Saturday. But, I'm looking forward to seeing them all again on the 23rd.

On Sunday, all 60(I'm sure there were more) children received their First Holy Communion. To see them all in the chapel, awaiting their sacred hour, was beautiful! They were still a little hyper. But, they looked so angelic and beautiful that the activity didn't take anything away from the experience. I can't begin to voice how proud I was to see all of my kids make it to this day! The mass was very interactive, to keep them all alert and to make them feel a part of the celebration. It was truly their day. Fr. Alberto kept them entertained and asked them a few questions. We got some very cute answers out of them that kept the congregation happy. Then, when they sang their song, it was just
beautiful! The voices of angels, I tell ya!




The boys goofing around....

While the girls pretended to be angels(we know them better)!

The rest of Sunday was spent with my mom at brunch and then in bed trying to fight off a cold. All in all, it was a full and wondrous weekend!


1 comment: