5.6.09

My Ham

Today, the 5th of June 2009, my godson, Brandon Patrick Blas Respicio, turned 8 years old! It's hard to imagine that just 8 years ago, he was not in my life. His parents had been praying for a child and after a few mishaps, they were able to conceive and carry one to term. This little boy, a true gift of God, was delivered in the early afternoon to an ecstatic father who didn't know exactly what to do. Laugh... or cry!

I remember when Uncle Pat came out of the delivery room after hours of a distressed labor. He looked like a blue monster, all dressed in hospital garb. The joy that I saw in his eyes and the relief and love I heard in his voice. The strength in his embrace. It was what every father should possess. He got exactly what he had been praying for for so long and couldn't wait to share it with the world.

When I first laid eyes on this little being that was to be my godchild, this tiny baby boy who was to fill my hours during the day... I had such a feeling of pride. An overwhelming wave of joy for my aunt(Monica) and her husband. How was I to know that we'd have such little time with them, as a family? How did we know that, after being given this precious gift, Uncle Pat would be taken from us? The only thing we knew was that he was happier than we'd ever seen him before. That he was ready to take on this duty of being a father to this stranger.


Eight months later, on Feb. 15, 2001, Uncle Pat was electrocuted and suddenly, our lives were torn. I questioned God. I couldn't understand why this had happened. None of us understood. All we understood was that we would never let a day go by that Brandon didn't know, beyond any doubt, of his father's love for him.


Now, nearly eight years later, Brandon knows his father. He dreams of him and knows exactly the type of father he has. Brandon is this young boy who is growing a little too fast for us. He's ready to take on the world. He's a brilliant child who excels at what he does. I am proud to have this child in my life and to call him my boy. I look forward to watching him grow up in to a man that his father would be proud of.

To my baby boy, know that your Nina loves you and always will. I, Nina Therese, Nino Frank, Dwayne, Mama Patti, Uncle Clifton are so proud of you, my boy. Happy Birthday, Baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment