2.7.09

The Choir of Angels has a New Pianist

This morning, at 915am, I read the news that the Lord had called a beautiful, talented, and spirited woman home. I was saddened as I read Pacific Daily News website. Reina Arce Leddy, was a gifted woman. One who always had a smile on her face that brightened when she saw a friend. The people of Guam and the community and congregation of Mangilao will feel the loss of the great woman.
Reina was the pianist for the 10am choir in the parish of Santa Teresita Church, in Mangilao. I remember serving mass and listening to the choir, wanting to be amongst them. You see, Reina, Dave, Bam, Tara, Ted, Auntie Bernie, Cat(if I were to list them all, this would go on forever)... they all had beautiful voices. When I was brave enough, I finally removed that server cassock and joined the ranks of the choir.

There were so many memories that came to mind this morning, as I read the article. The best memory I have is of the concert we put on back in 1996 or 1997. I don't remember the exact time. But, the preparation leading up to the concert... the many rehearsals that we held. None of it felt like work. It was tedious. Reina was always quick on her feet to get us smiling and laughing. It made the time go by faster... the rehearsals go by smoother.

Recently, after being away from Mangilao for about 12 years, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend mass there, again. Naturally, I went to what is now the 1030am mass. We were running a little late coming in. So, I didn't get a chance to say hi before the mass. But, there were stolen glimpses and smiles of recognition. As soon as mass was over, I went over to say hello and got the warm hugs that I'd always remembered.

So, while we are mourning here, the choirs of angels have a new pianist in their midst. She is an awesome addition! We shouldn't be sad for too long. While the death came as a shock and one that we must still overcome, we must remember that it was in God's plan from the beginning of time. Yes, we will miss her. But, she is there, praying for us as we pray for her. Until the day we meet again, Reina, we love you and we will miss you. As the song goes... "May the choirs of angels come to greet you, may the lead you to paradise. May the Lord enfold you in His mercy. May you find eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment